Sothi is used as a side dish for idiyappam.
- ¾ cup shredded green cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- 1 small potato cubed
- 1 small eggplant cubed
- ¼ cup red onion sliced
- 1-2 green chili slit length wise
- 1 strand curry leaves
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup milk or coconut milk
- pinch of tumeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2-3 teaspoon lemon juice
Combination and amount of the above vegetables can be changed according to taste.
- Put all the vegetables, onion and green chili in a saucepan and add water and cook on a medium flame for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add tumeric powder
- Add milk/coconut milk and boil for another 3-4 minutes on low flame
- Add the curry leaves and salt
- Leave the sothi on the stove until it cools down a little bit (until it becomes warm)
- Now add lemon juice and serve warm with idiyappam
Yields about 3-4 servings as a side dish