My favorite fruits are the different kinds of berries — strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With the arrival of spring and summer, these berries are a wonderful treat. These berries are loaded with vitamins and other anti oxidants. So to welcome the spring and the warm weather, I took a normal version of butter cake and added a little bit of tweaking to create this new recipe. It’s best to use fresh strawberries. Since the strawberries I had were very sweet, I did not add any sugar when making the strawberry sauce. Also, I did not strain the sauce to remove the seeds. Once baked the seeds become a bit soft and crunchy.
For the cake, original recipe uses 1 cup of sugar and I lessened it to ¾ cup.
- 9 oz all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 oz butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon strawberry essence
- ½ cup strawberry sauce
- To make the strawberry sauce add 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries and about 1 cup water and cook on a medium flame for about 7 -8 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- When it cools puree in a blender
- Return to the stove and simmer until you get ½ cup strawberry sauce.
- cool completely
To make the cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- grease a 8 inch round pan
- in a bowl beat butter and sugar until soft
- add one egg at a time and beat until blended
- sift the flour with baking powder
- add the flour alternating with strawberry sauce
- beat until the mixture becomes smooth scrapping the bowl with a spatula occasionally
- pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean
- cool on a wire rack