- ½ lb string beans
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed (peruncheerakam)
- 1 cup chopped onion (preferably red)
- 1 strand curry leaves
- 2 – 3 dried red chilies broken into about 3 pieces
- Salt to taste
- Snip both ends of the beans and cut them diagonally into about ¼ inch rounds
- Add cut beans, water, chili powder and salt to a skillet and cover and cook until all the water is absorbed.
- Add shredded coconut and mix well and cook for another minute or two or until dry on low flame. Set aside
- Add oil to another skillet and when hot add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seed start splattering, add fennel seed and fry for about 10- 20 seconds on low flame
- Add chopped onion and fry until golden brown
- Add curry leaves, dried red chilies and fry for another minute
- Transfer this onion mixture to the cooked beans and mix well.