- ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ lb potatoes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 green chilies chopped
- ¼ cup green peas (thawed if frozen)
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Strand of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Make the dough:
- Add yeast to a bowl and dissolve in warm water
- Let stand for a few minutes
- Mix flour and salt and add to the yeast mixture
- Stir with wooden spoon until smooth (you may have to use hand since it might be too sticky and tight to stir with a spoon)
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes
- Shape the dough into a ball and add to the bowl and cover with a plastic wrap
- Leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes
- Uncover and knead again for about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions and shape them into balls
- Lightly coat the balls with cooking spray and cover with a plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes
Make the stuffing
- Boil potatoes with skin until ¾ done
- Drain and let cool. Peel the skin off and chop them roughly into small pieces
- Heat a skillet with oil and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start splattering, add onion and sauté until lightly golden
- Add green chili, cumin seeds and green peas and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chili powder, salt, and curry leaves and cook on low flame until potatoes are done and soft. If needed sprinkle with water about 1 tablespoon at a time
Make the Roti:
- Working with one dough (ball) at a time, carefully flatten the dough on a board (I added a plastic wrap sheet to the board to prevent sticking. Plastic wrap sheet works better than a floured board, also add a little bit of oil to hands)
- Add a spoonful of the curry mix in the middle of the flattened dough.
- Bring the edges together and seal it. Now slowly flatten again and make sure the curry does not come out
- Spray a little oil to a skillet. When the skillet becomes hot, add the rotis and cook on both sides until done
- Serve warm. Makes 4 rotis.