I have always wanted to make eggless cake. I found this eggless banana cake recipe from http://www.egglesscooking.com. I modified that recipe quite a bit for my taste. I reduced the amount of sugar and replaced castor sugar with brown sugar. I like the taste of brown sugar since it’s not too sharp. I also added lot of orange juice which gives a nice flavor in combination with bananas. Following is the recipe.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 oz butter melted
- Juice and grated rind of one orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mashed banana
- ¼ cup pureed dates
- 2 oz walnuts chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Butter a 9x9x2 inch cake pan and set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder and set aside
- To puree date, add about ¼ cup hot water to dates and leave aside for about 15 minutes
- Puree dates in a blender
- Make juice from orange and add enough hot water to make 1 ¼ cups liquid.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Now add orange juice, vanilla extract, mashed banana, pureed dates and beat on low speed
- Add the flour and beat mix well.
- Now add chopped walnuts and mix until all the ingredients are mixed well
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about one hour or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.