I have been making bulgur with different vegetables. I kind of started getting bored making the same bulgur dish again and again. So I thought to make this new and interesting version of bulgur dish. Grilling in butter gives this dish a distinct flavor. I used salted butter (I know too much sodium). But it gives even a better taste. But if you are a health conscious person and want to avoid any fatty stuff, you can use oil spray instead.
- ½ cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- About 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 oz white mushroom
- 1 small green squash
- 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Sri Lankan chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- Butter for skillet
- Bring water to boil in a covered saucepan
- Wash bulgur thoroughly and add washed bulgur to saucepan and bring to a rolling boil
- Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer until all water is absorbed
- Let for about 5 – 10 minutes
- Transfer bulgur to a baking tray and level with a spoon
- Cool to room temperature
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for about half an hour to one hour
Cook Vegetarian Chili
- Soak beans overnight. Drain water and wash them thoroughly
- Add beans to a saucepan, add enough water and cook until soft (I used a pressure cooker since its fast. I cooked for about 8 whistles). Let cool.
- Meanwhile thinly slice onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Chop squash into ½ inch cubes
- Add oil to a saucepan and add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add mushroom, squash, beans, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, ½ cup water, tomato paste and salt and cover and cook on medium flame for about 10 – 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the gravy has thickened
- With a sharp knife, cut chilled bulgur in to diagonal pieces (about 6)
- Melt about 1 tablespoon butter in a non stick skillet
- Add bulgur cakes to the skillet and cook on both sides until lightly browned and crisp
- Drain on paper towel
- Place 2 bulgur diagonal pieces on each plate and top each serving with vegetable chili.