- 1½ cups curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Urad dhal (Black gram dhal)
- 4 tablespoons Channa dhal (bengal gram dhal)
- 2 dried red chilies
- a pinch of hing
- salt to taste
- Wash curry leaves and dry in paper towel
- Dry roast the curry leaves until leaves are dry and crisp but still retain the green color
- Dry roast separately the channa dhal and urad dhal until lightly golden
- Dry roast red chilies and just before taking out of the pan, add a pinch of hing and roast together with red chilies for another minute.
- Once cool, grind everything together into a powder
- Season with salt
- Serve with Idlis, dosa or even rice
- add a spoon full of the powder and add a little bit of sesame oil (use the Indian version and not the Chinese version). Mix with your fingers to a paste and you can eat with Dosa, Idli or rice
- When making masala Dosa, once dosa is cooked, sprinkle a little bit of the curry leaves powder and then put the masala and fold into to half.
Note: when roasting make sure the flame is in low to not burn the ingredients.