- 1 lb frozen cut okra
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3-4 shallots
- 2 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 3-4 dried red chilies broken into 2 pieces (each)
- 1 strand of curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup thick yogurt
- Salt to taste
- If using fresh okra, diagonally cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- In a covered saucepan, add oil. Once oil is hot add shallots and fry until golden brown.
- Add green chilies, red chilies, and curry leaves and fry on a very low flame for about 30 seconds. (Make sure the saucepan does not get heated. If so turn off the flame and let the ingredients fry in the heat of the pan)
- Add fenugreek and fry for another 10-15 seconds
- Now add okra and mix well with the fried ingredients.
- Increase flame to medium
- Add water, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt to the saucepan and cover and cook for about 3-5 minutes
- Add yogurt and cook covered for another 5 minutes (if curry starts getting dry, add a little bit of water)
- Serve warm with rice or chapathis.
- Serves about 3-4 as a side dish
Note: if using fresh okra, add a little extra water since fresh okra need more time to cook.