இலங்கையில் வாழைப்பழ பணியாரம் வாய்ப்பான் என்றும் கூறப்படும்.
- 2 medium sized bananas (yields ¾ cup mashed banana
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel and mash the bananas
- Mix mashed bananas, butter, sugar and flour with fingers – make sure there are no lumps and the dough is soft and similar to risen bread dough. Do not add any water.
- Heat oil in a large vessel (wok) on medium-low flame.
- To test oil whether it is ready, just drop a tiny bit of the dough (size of a tiny bead) into the oil. If the dough starts sizzling and frying, oil is hot enough to start frying. Make sure you remove that tiny piece and throw it.
- Once oil is hot drop spoonful of the dough into the hot oil.
- Turn couple of times to make sure the dough gets fried on all side.
- Once Vaaippan is golden, drain on paper towel.
- Yields about 14-15 Vaaippaans
Note: When frying make sure the oil is not too hot. Oil should not be smoking and Vaaippaan should be fried on Medium-low flame. So that it will give time for the inside to get cooked.
Variation: For additional flavor, a little bit of cardamom powder can be added. But I like it as it is since cardamom powder will mask the banana smell and flavor. Also frying in coconut oil will enhance the flavor.