I had to make something without milk and milk product. So I searched online and got some ideas to make this banana bread. Even though I am not a banana fan, I had so many over ripe bananas. So to make it a bit different and to reduce the strong banana smell, I add so many other ingredients. These extra additions make the banana bread healthier but it is very heavy and a bit crunchy outside. But the inside came out nice and soft.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose white flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (not the quick cooking)
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large extra ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- A little salt (about ¼ teaspoon or less)
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, rolled oats, salt, and baking powder
- In a separate bowl beat egg, oil, and vanilla essence until combined
- Add the banana mixture into flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Add mashed banana, dates, walnuts, raisins and flax seed and stir gently until well combined
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake until a tooth pick inserted comes out clear – about one hour
- Remove from oven and let stand on a rack but still in the loaf pan for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature