- ½ lb string beans
- ¾ cup dry soy chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed
- Grind coriander, cumin, and fennel together into a coarse powder and set aside.
- Add soy chunks to a bowl. Add enough hot water to cover soy chunks and cover and let stand for 10-15 minutes
- Wash and trim both ends of the beans.
- Cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Slice onion and garlic thinly.
- Add oil to a covered saucepan and when hot, add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chili powder, and turmeric powder and mix well
- Add about 1 tablespoon water and cook on low flame until tomatoes are cooked into sauce consistency. If needed add little water at a time
- Squeeze out the water from soy chunks and cut them into small pieces if necessary
- Add beans, and soy chunks to the saucepan and add the spice powder and 1 cup water, coconut milk and cook on medium flame for about 15-20 minutes or the gravy has thickened
- Serve with rice.