- 4 large Japanese eggplants
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup sliced onion (preferably red since it has a strong flavor)
- 3-4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 strand curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup thick coconut milk
- Slit eggplant lengthwise and cut them into 3 long strips. Now cut them into 1 inch pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Spread eggplants on cookie sheet and sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons canola oil and mix thoroughly with hand
- Place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour or eggplants are browned and crispy on the outside.
- Let cool
- In the meantime, add 1 tablespoon oil to saucepan and when hot add onion and garlic and sauté until browned
- Add baked eggplant, chili powder, salt, and tamarind and mix well
- Add water and coconut milk to the saucepan and cover and cook on medium flame for about 10-15 minutes or until gravy thickens
- Add sugar and cook for a minute or 2 more
- Turn off the flame and keep covered for about 5-10 minutes before serving
- Serve warm with rice, pittu or string hoppers.