Aval is one of the important savory made during Navarathri. In Sri Lanka, aval from the traditional red rice is very common (actually I have never seen the white aval there). Aval is the beaten rice/flattened rice. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattened_rice for more information.
- ½ cup red aval
- about ¼ cup dark brown sugar (or jaggery)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Wash aval thoroughly in cold water multiple times
- Squeeze the water and let stand for about 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in salt, brown sugar/jaggery, and coconut
- Serve immediately.
- Source: My Original
Note: Do not leave aval in water (as in a bowl of water). If you do, it will become grainy. The reason to squezze the water out and leaving for 15 or more minutes is to let the aval get soft.