- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners (powered) sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 oz cold butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon orange essence
- 4 tablespoons iced water
- 1 1/2 cups minced fruits (mincemeat)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Sift flour, sugar, and cinnamon into a large bowl
- Rub in butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Stir in orange essence. Add iced water and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead lightly and roll out onto a board to about 1/4 inch or a little less thickness
- Cut out circles with a 2 – 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Place a small spoonful mincemeat into each pastry and top with another round and seal by pressing the edges.
- Lightly brush each pastry on the top with egg and leave in the refrigirator for about 30 minutes
- Pre Heat oven to 400 F.
- Remove from the refrigirator and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm
- Yields: 22 pastries.
Minced meat (minced fruits) – you can buy these in any grocery store during christmas time. They come in small bottles/jars.