It’s summer and the warm weather is making me think about all the juicy fresh fruits we get in Sri Lanka. Pineapple is one of them. No pineapple will come close to that we get in Sri Lanka – the sweet juicy and strong flavor. I wanted to make some thing with pineapple and came with an idea of this pineapple recipe. But unfortunately I have never peeled a fresh pineapple and thought to replace it with canned pineapple. The muffins turned out really good.
- 6 oz pineapple
- 2 oz dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons mango smoothie (you can use the naked mango tango smoothie or odawella brand mango smoothie)
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 8 oz flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup cooking oil such as canola (I prefer canola since it does not have any smell or flavor)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Cut pineapple into small pieces and squeeze out the juice.
- Add pineapple chunks and cranberries into a bowl and mix in with rum extract and leave it for about 15 minutes
- in the mean time pre-heat oven to 350F
- Line 10 muffin cups of muffin tin with paper cases
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl beat together butter and sugar and light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and stir in vanilla extract and coconut milk
- Add pineapple cranberry mixture alternating with flour into the egg mixture and mix until just combined
- Divide batter between the muffin paper cases
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden on the top
- Let cool in tin and transfer to a wire rack and cool completely
Yields: 10 muffins.