- 2 green (granny smith) apples
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- zest and juice of one orange
- Butter for greasing
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds crushed
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Peel and core apples. Cut them into about 1/4 inch cubes
- Grease a baking pan and set aside
- Add cut apples to the baking dish and scatter blackberries over apples
- Sprinkle brown sugar and orange zest evenly over the blackberries
- Pour orange juice over the fruits.
- To make the topping cut butter into small chunks
- Rub butter with flour until it resembles coarse bread crumbs
- Add sugar, slivered almonds, salt and cardamom and mix well
- Scatter topping over the fruits and press lightly
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes
- If the topping is not browned, increase heat to 425F and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice-cream.