- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vanilla flavored yogurt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cooking oil (canola/vegetable)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple pieces
- 1 tablespoon old fashioned rolled oats
- Pre heat oven to 375F. Grease 12 muffin paper cases and place them in a muffin pan and set aside
- Add flaked coconut and sunflower seeds to an aluminum tray and toast for about 5 minutes (or depending on the heat of the toaster. Make sure you don’t let coconut brown)
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside
- In a large bowl beat egg lightly
- Add oil, sugar, and yogurt and mix well
- Add the flour mixture in batches and mix well. At this point the dough will be quite stiff and you may want to use a spatula to cut into the dough to mix thoroughly
- Add shredded carrots and mix well to incorporate. Once carrots are added, the stick batter will become a bit soft and loose.
- Mix in raisins and pineapple pieces
- Spoon batter into paper cases and sprinkle with oats.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Yields: 12 muffins
Note: I used an ice-cream scoop to add the batter into the muffin cups which makes it easy. You can try walnuts instead of sunflower seeds. You can also try with different flavored yogurt.