- 4 small potatoes
- 4 small eggplants
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion
- strand of curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chilies
- Salt to taste
- Bring water to boil in a large saucepan. Add whole potatoes (without peeling) and boil until three-quarter done. The potatoes should be firm but when you prick with a knife, if should be soft. Let cool
- Quarter each potato (into 4 pieces)
- Wash eggplants and slice lengthwise. Slice each half into 3 or 4 pieces. If the eggplants are very small, just quarter them
- Wash bell pepper and split lengthwise. Remove seeds and the rib. Slice them into thin strips. Cut the strips diagonally into 2 pieces
- Using a motar and pezzle crush coriander and cumin together.
- Chop garlic and ginger into small pieces.
- Cut onion into half and slice thinly
- In a large skillet add oil and when hot add mustard seed, onion, and curry leaves and fry until onion are translucent.
- Now add crushed garlic and ginger and fry until onion is golden brown
- Add cut potatoes, eggplants, and bell pepper and fry for about 2-3 minutes
- Add crushed red pepper, and salt and cover and cook on low flame about 10-12 minutes.
- Yield: 3 side dish