I love okra especially when satueed until it is dry and well cooked. I have posted multiple okra recipes. But this is my favorite recipe. On the other hand this is the most time consuming okra recipe as well. But the extra time is worth it.
- 1/2 lb okra
- 1/2 lb potatoes
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- Boil whole potatoes with skin until three – quarter done and let cool. Peel skin and dice into half an inch cubes
- wash and dry okra completely (it’s important the okra should be completely dry. Otherwise when sautéing it tend to become mushy)
- grind coriander and cumin together into a coarse powder
- snip off both ends of okra and cut them into about one inch pieces.
- add 1 tablespoon oil to a skillet and fry okra on low flame until cooked. Set aside.
- add rest of the oil to the skillet and fry onion until lightly browned. sprinkle a little water and continue cooking
- Now add okra, potatoes, tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves, and cumin coriander powder and cover and cook on low flame for a couple of minutes (3-3 minutes). If it gets too dry or start burning
- Remove lid and cook for another minute
- serve warm with naan bread or chapattis