After coming home from work, I will be so tired and some times I don’t even want to step into the kitchen. Today is one of those days and once I walked in, I was thinking whether to get some frozen food from the refrigerator or cook some thing that is quick and simple. I browsed through my cabinets and found a small can of black beans and of course couscous. So immediately I decided what I wanted for dinner, some thing simple, flavorful and spicy. For this dish I used canned black beans and whole wheat couscous. I am not a fan of canned goods. But once in a while I go for it – well I always have at least one can of black bean, kidney bean and chick pea in my kitchen cabinet for any emergency situation. This vegetarian dish is simple to cook, but packed with a lot of nutrients.
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cups couscous
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed coriander
- 3/4 cups cooked black beans (or canned black beans)
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 small red onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- half of one small zucchini
- 2 teaspoons oil
- cooking spray
- crushed red pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons parsley finely chopped
- Add water and olive oil to a covered saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat. Add couscous, crushed coriander, and salt and cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut sweet potatoes into half-an inch cubes. Thinly slice bell pepper. Spray a little bit oil to a cookie sheet and spread bell pepper, and sweet potato and roast for about half an hour.
- Thinly slice onion and garlic. Add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil to a small skillet. Once hot add onion and garlic and saute until golden brown. Remove from the skillet. Now thinly slice zucchini into ribbons. Add the ribbons to the skillet and fry on both sides until lightly browned.
- Add sauteed onion, roasted vegetables, black beans, zucchini, and crushed red pepper to couscous and mix well. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Garnish with additional zucchini strips.
- Yields: 2-3 main dish