Nothing is more delicious than home cooked food especially when it comes to dishes like pasta, noodles, and pizza. I love trying different cuisine recipes but have never thought of trying any Japanese recipes. Probably I have been under the impression that Japanese cuisine is mostly based on sea food, sea weed and sushi. So I was browsing through different recipe website and found recipes for “Yakisoba” which I have never even heard before. So immediately I decided to try this entirely new unheard recipe.
After a little research I realized Yakisoba is one of Japan’s best known street foods. While in the US it is called soba noodles which is a buckwheat noodle, in Japan this dish is made with ramen noodles. In the Japanese traditional cooking, the sweet and tart flavor of this dish comes from chuno sauce. So the best replacement for this sauce can be Worcestershire sauce with chili paste. In the traditionally this dish consists of cabbage, carrots, onion and scallion. But I included other vegetables to make this a wholesome healthy dish.
Note: For stronger and spicier flavor, you can increase the chili paste and Worcestershire sauce. I would suggest for the below dish add an extra teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and an extra half a teaspoon chili paste.
- 4 oz soba (buckwheat) noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced (or chopped)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 large Portabella mushroom caps
- 7 oz water packed extra firm tofu
- Cooking spray
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Drain tofu in paper towel and cut into half an inch cubes
- Slice mushroom thinly.
- Combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili paste, and sesame oil and a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Spray a little oil to a cookie sheet and spread tofu and mushroom in one layer. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Bring a large saucepan with water to a rolling boil. Add noodles and cook for about 3 minutes or al dente. Run under cold water and drain
- Add vegetable oil to a skillet and once hot add onion, garlic, carrots and cabbage and stir fry on high heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add roasted mushroom, tofu, noodles, and sauce mixture to the skillet and mix well and cook on very low flame for about a minute or two.
- Divide equal portions to 2 plates and sprinkle with toasted sesame seed.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Yields: 2 main dishes