Broccoli with kidney beans, sounds strange. I had a small bunch of broccoli which needed to be cooked since it started wilting. So I thought of many ways to cook a new dish with broccoli. I thought of potatoes and broccoli, tofu and broccoli, and kidney beans and broccoli. For some reason I thought of making this dish – broccoli and kidney bean curry. I have never tried broccoli in combination with any other vegetables in making curries. But it came out quite good.
- 2 teaspoons chana dhal
- 1 teaspoon urad dhal
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ inch piece ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- few curry leaves
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 10.5 oz can kidney beans
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- salt to taste
- Dry roast chana dhal, urad dhal, coriander seed, and cumin seed and let cool. Grind them together into a fine powder. Set aside
- Add oil to a covered saucepan and once hot, add ginger and garlic and saute until garlic is lightly golden. Add curry leaves and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add chopped broccoli, kidney beans, water, chili powder, and salt and cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another one minute. Let stand covered for about 10 minutes before serving (so that the flavor of tomatoes will get incorporated into the curry.)
- Serve warm with Basmati rice or Chapati
- Yields: 4 as a side dish
Source: Chelvi’s Original