Recently I have been making dishes that are vegan and this is one of those recipes I always wanted to make – pasta combined with almond milk. I will be posting another recipe with vegan Alfredo sauce. Since I didn’t have enough time, I made this dish very quick and simple. The main ingredients that gives flavor to this are the porcini mushroom and the basil flavored extra virgin olive oil.
- 4 oz pasta such as rotini, penne
- 1lb mixed mushrooms (shitake, portabella, button)
- 1 oz dried porcini mushroom
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic (about 10) sliced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 scallion sliced into one inch pieces
- 1 tbsp Basil flavored olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook pasta and drain and set aside
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly spray oil to a cookie sheet and set aside
- Clean and slice mushrooms into thin slices
- Spread sliced mushrooms in one layer on the cookie sheet and spray with cooking oil
- Roast mushroom for about half an hour. Set aside
- While mushroom is roasting add dried porcini mushroom to warm water and let soak for about 1—15 minutes.
- Wash thoroughly and squeeze out the water
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and once hot, add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until onion and garlic are lightly browned
- Now add porcini mushroom and roasted mushroom and mix in with the onion
- Increase heat to medium high and sauté until all water is absorbed from mushroom (if there is any)
- Add crushed red pepper, dried basil and the cooked pasta and mix well
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 tablespoon almond milk at a time until all ¼ cup is used
- Cook on low flame until almond milk is absorbed.
- Sprinkle basil flavored olive oil and sliced scallion.
- Season with salt
Yields: 2 main dishes
Source: Chelvi’s original