Oats are amazingly healthy and hearty food. Instead of the regular oatmeal, make this simple but a luscious fruit infused oatmeal breakfast. You can make the oatmeal ahead of time, even the prior night and saute the patties for a hot breakfast. I have never frozen these oatmeal patties, but it might be possible. I have to experiment that part.
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1-2 teaspoon castor sugar (depends on how tart the raspberries are)
- vegan butter spread
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Add oats, and salt and cook until most of the water is evaporated and oats are quite cooked.
- Add soy milk and mix well and cook on low flame until all liquid is absorbed and oats resemble thick.
- Lightly butter small dishes and spoon cooked oatmeal into the dishes and press lightly to firm up.
- Let cool completely. Alternately you can leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- Gently remove oatmeal from the molds.
- Lightly grease a skillet and place each rounds (or any shape you prefer) on the skillet and cook until browned. Turn over and cook the other side until browned and crisp.
- To make the sauce, add raspberries, water, sugar, and lemon peel to a sauce pan and cook on low flame for about 4 minutes. Let cool and puree. If preferred, strain the sauce to remove the seeds.
- Place oatmeal patties on a plate and spoon sauce over it and serve warm.
- Yields: 2-3 servings as a main breakfast dish.