Banana Bread – yes, we all know banana bread and I have posted multiple banana breads with other fruit additions. This time I thought to stay with the classic banana bread. But I could not resist to throw in some chopped nuts since when you bite in, they give a nice crunchy feeling. I love oranges and their fragrance. Since adding orange juice might make the bread mushy, I decided to add a little bit orange extract which gives a nice flavor. I also tweaked the original recipe which I got from food network and replaced a portion of all purpose flour with amaranth flour. Amaranth flour does not have any gluten. So it gives the banana bread a soft and not so sticky texture.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup amaranth flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium eggs
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup oil
- 4 medium sized bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and grease lightly with butter
- Sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside
- In a large bowl beat eggs lightly. Add sugar and beat.
- Add oil, vanilla extract, orange extract and stir until oil gets incorporated into the egg mixture
- Stir in mow add mashed bananas
- Stir in flour in 3 batches until just combined.
- Stir in nuts
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for about one hour or a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Cool on wire rack
Source: Adapted and modified from food network – banana bread