I found this recipe on the WebMD website which is very healthy and totally vegan. You can replace blueberries with other fruits such as raspberries, blackberries or even apricots etc. Chopped almonds gives additional flavor and richness to the topping.
- 1 cup finely chopped green apple
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour divided
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup almonds finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Note: You can use brown sugar instead of coconut palm sugar. Also you can substitute coconut oil with canola oil or even vegan butter. But the combination of coconut oil and coconut palm sugar gives a great flavor and fragrance.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Peel and core the apples. Chop them into very small pieces.
- Combine apples, blueberries, castor sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and orange juice in a large bowl.
- Divide among 4 ramekins and set aside
- To make the crumble topping, in a separate bowl combine chopped almonds, rolled oats, coconut palm sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, salt and cinnamon. Add coconut oil and mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the fruit mixture and gently press into the fruit mixture
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes or until fruits are bubbly and topping is golden
Source: adapted and modified from Old Fashioned Blueberry Crumble from WebMD.