This is a delicious and very simple dish. It only takes 15 minutes to cook plus the extra time to cut the beets. You can use either dried navy beans or canned ones. If using dried navy beans, soak them in water overnight and cook until three quarters done.
- ½ lb beets
- 1 cup cooked navy beans
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ of a small onion thinly sliced
- Strand of curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2-3 dried red chili broken into 2 pieces
- Peel beets and cut lengthwise into two half. Place the cut side on a cutting board and thinly slice them. Cur each slice into about half an inch cube.
- Add beets, water, coconut milk, and salt to a covered saucepan and cover and cook on medium flame for about 10 minutes
- Add cooked navy beans to beets and reduce flame and simmer for another 5 minutes. If the curry becomes too dry, add a little water or coconut milk to make some gravy.
- In a small skillet add cooking oil and add onion and sauté until golden brown. Now add curry leaves with onion and fry for another minute. Add fried onions and curry leaves to beet curry and mix well.
- Add dried red chili to the skillet and fry in the rest of the oil until red chili becomes very dark deep brown and crunch
- Pour dried red chili and oil over beet curry and serve warm with rice.