Finally I found the best banana bread. I have made and have posted banana breads in the past. But this time, I think I nailed it. I have been looking for banana bread that is soft, moist but firm and that is what I got out of this recipe. I think the coconut I added had made some miracle. Flaked coconut is dry but has bit oil in them. So it adds softness to the bread instead of getting sticky banana bread. I got this recipe from http://www.recipes.com but changed the ingredients according to my taste. Also the original recipe called for 1 cup white sugar. I halved it and replaced with brown sugar which still has a lot of sweetness.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and grease lightly
- In a bowl sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl lightly beat eggs. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla extract and mix until well blended.
- Mix in mashed banana and coconut
- Now fold in sifted flour in batches and mix with a wire whisk until well combined. Mix in nuts and cranberries
- Transfer dough to the prepared pan and bake in the middle rack for about an hour or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Source: adapted and slightly modified from Recipes.com website