After a long day from work and walking in this frigid cold weather, when I get home all I want is some comforting warm food. On a day like this I didn’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen – just cook some delicious food and eat and go to bed. So I came up with this recipe with whatever I had in the fridge. I had some pre cooked and frozen black beans in my freezer and these vegetables in the refrigerator. With just 4 ingredients, this is a very healthy, light and delicious dinner. You can buy the garlic-chili sauce in any Asian grocery stores.
- 1 small head broccoli divided into florets
- 4 oz white mushroom thickly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup cooked or canned black beans drained
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic-chili spicy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray cookie sheet lightly and arrange vegetables in one layer. Spray oil over vegetables and roast for about 45 minutes and set aside
- Meanwhile bring quinoa and water to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and cover and cook for about 12 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Let stand covered for about 15-20 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Peel and slice garlic into thin slices.
- Add cooking oil to a large skillet and add garlic and sauté until they are golden. Lower the flame and add roasted vegetables, black beans, garlic chili sauce, and salt and mix well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes (this is to infuse the sauce into vegetables).
- Now transfer cooked quinoa to the skillet and mix thoroughly and cook for about a minute or 2. If it starts burning, sprinkle a little water and continue to cook.
- Cover and let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Serves 2 main dishes