I had some left over broccoli florets which is too small of a quantity to make any dish as is. I had never cooked broccoli with any other vegetables except once with kidney beans ( Broccoli with kidney beans). So this time I thought to add one of my favorite root vegetable – potatoes. Broccoli and potatoes – sounds strange. But believe me, this is so delicious, quick and healthy. I was out of the kitchen in about 15 minutes. Added fried onion gives this dish an extra flavor
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 small potato
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- Oil for sautéing
- Cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray oil to a small cookie sheet and spread broccoli florets in one layer. Spray oil over broccoli lightly and roast for just 5-7 minutes (alternately you can also stem the broccoli for 5 minutes)
- Chop potatoes into small cubes – almost the size of broccoli florets
- Add about one tablespoon oil to a non stick skillet and add potatoes and sauté until they are golden outside and cooked inside.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a separate skillet add a little oil and fry onions until golden brown. Set aside.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add roasted (steamed) broccoli, fried onion, chili powder and red pepper flakes, salt and cover and cook for another 2 minutes. If it becomes too dry or start burning, sprinkle a little water at a time.
- Serve warm with rice, roti or eat as is which is very healthy and delicious.