This is a new type of pasta I tried today. I have been trying diary free meals and did not have any diary free cheese in my pantry. So thought to substitute with ground almonds which gives a nice crunchy taste to this pasta dish. This is an easy recipe packed with nutrients to have and relax on a Friday night.
- 4 oz pasta (cork screw, penne etc.)
- 1 lb tomatoes (tomato on the vine is preferable since it is juicy and sweet)
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 4-5 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 10.5 oz can black beans
- Half of 10 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 2 teaspoon basil pesto
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ cup ground almonds
- Cook pasta and drain. Set aside. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of water.
- Bring a large pan filled with water to a rolling boil. Add whole tomatoes and cover and boil for 5 minutes. Then turn off flame and leave in the pan covered for another 20 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and let cool to room temperature. Peel and chop tomatoes into rough big chunks.
- Slice mushrooms thinly and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with oil. Roast in a toaster oven for about 10 minutes.
- Thaw spinach to room temperature and squeeze out water as much as possible.
- Wash black beans thoroughly and drain (washing is to remove any substance added when canning)
- Add oil to a large skillet and once hot add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, mushroom, black beans, spinach, pasta, reserved water and mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a 2 quart glass dish (oven proof) and sprinkle with ground almond. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the almonds are golden.