It is summer and farmer’s market and groceries are full of fresh vegetables. In this 90 degree temperature, I don’t think any one would enjoy standing in front of a hot stove or oven and cooking something for dinner. Especially I don’t. So I have been trying different salads and this came out to be one of my favorite and it so simple and easy to make with just a few ingredients.
- 2 cups baby arugula (rocket)
- 3 medium sized strawberries halved and sliced
- 6 grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan mayonnaise
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Feta cheese (optional)
- Sweet and spiced almonds roughly chopped
- To make the salad dressing mix together the olive oil, mayonnaise, salt and pepper
- Add arugula, strawberries, grape tomatoes to a salad bowl and add salad dressing and mix thoroughly
- Divide salad into 2 bowls and top with almonds and feta cheese
- See recipe here for sweet and spicy almonds.
- Makes: 2 servings.
Lately I have been trying dishes that are way out of our traditional Sri Lankan method. This is one of the recipes that I made over the weekend. Traditionally we make mixed vegetable curries simmered in thick coconut milk. For this recipe, I reduced the amount of coconut milk and added ground almonds which gives extra flavor. Also I sautéed onion in coconut oil which gives a nice aroma. But you can use any other regular cooking oil. Enjoy this lightly spiced and fragrant dish with rice, Naan, Chappati or any other variety of Rotis.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or crushed
- ½ inch piece ginger finely chopped or crushed
- 8 cardamom pods
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup ground almond
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Wash and split green beans length wise as much as possible. Then cut them diagonally into about 1 inch pieces.
- Brush carrots and cut off the top and bottom ends. Split lengthwise and slice them diagonally
- Separate cauliflower florets
- Add oil to a covered saucepan and once hot, add onion and sauté for about 7 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Sautéing must be done in very low flame to avoid any burning/charring.
- Add ground coriander, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric and sauté for one minute
- Now add ground almond, carrots, beans, water, coconut milk and salt and cover and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets to the saucepan and mix with the rest of the vegetables and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Let stand covered for 10 minutes. Just before serving add lemon juice.
- Serve as a side dish with rice, or Roti.