It is so hot and the best thing to cook is a one pot meal instead of making multiple dishes and generating heat. I have been eyeing on a recipe which is actually a chicken pulav with brown rice. I thought to make some twists and create it as a vegetarian dish since I am vegetarian.The closest ingredient to repleace the chicken was soy chunks. Also I used Bulgur instead of brown rice. It turned out very delicious and we enjoyed it as a meal. I have posted Bulgur dishes before, but among all of them I think this is the best one. Drizzling some lemon juice just before eating enhances the flavor. You can serve this with a small side salad.
- ½ cup bulgur
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 oz dried soy chunks
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- ½ cup chopped string beans
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes (seeds and juice removed)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Small piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 small green chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Add dried soy chunks to a bowl and add hot water to completely cover the soy chunks. Cover and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a covered saucepan bring 1 ½ cups water to boil. Wash bulgur and add to the saucepan and bring to rolling boil. Reduce flame and cook until all water is absorbed – about 10-12 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the water from soy chunks (if it is still hot, run the bowl with soy chunks under cold water).
- Add about one tablespoon cooking oil to a skillet and add the soy chunks and fry until lightly golden and crisp. Transfer to a dish
- Add the rest of the oil to the skillet and add onion and garlic and sauté until lightly golden. Now add ginger, green chili, mustard seeds, ground coriander, chili powder, curry leaves and salt and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, green beans, and green peas and sprinkle a little water and cover and cook on low flame for about 7-8 minutes or until carrots and green beans are cooked but crisp. If needed sprinkle more water little at a time.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the skillet and cook for another minute. Now add cooked bulgur to the vegetables and mix well and cook on very low flame for a minute or two. Season with salt.
- Serve with lemon wedges
- Yields: 2 main dishes.