I enjoy making crepes and have posted many crepe recipes on this site. But among all, this is the most delicious crepes I have ever made. Even though it took about an hour and 15 minutes to complete the whole process, the end results is absolutely worth it. The filling is absolutely fantastic – cooked apples combined with the almond mixture. Also heating the crepes in the oven gives an extra crunchiness to this recipe. Hope you will enjoy this recipe as well.
For the Crepes:
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ½ cup milk or almond milk
- ½ oz butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large (any tart apple such as granny smith)
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon butter
- ½ cup ground almond or almond meal
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
- Juicer of 2 large oranges
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Sift flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center
- In a different bowl whisk together egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract
- Gradually whisk the egg mixture into the flour and mix until the batter is smooth and free of lumps
- Let stand for 30 minutes
- Heat a small crepe/non-stick pan and brush lightly with butter.
- Pour a little batter into the pan and swirl quickly to cover the base of the pan in a thin layer
- Cook for about 30 seconds or until the edges begin to curl. Turn and cook the other side until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with a towel.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make about 10 crepes. Stack the crepes between grease proof or parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Peel and core apples. Cut them into very thin slices and chop into about ½ inch diagonal pieces
- Add butter to a skillet and once it starts sizzling, add brown sugar. Add apples and cook until browned and slightly crisp on the outside. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Mix ground almond and confectioners’ sugar in a separate bowl.
- In a small saucepan add butter and brown sugar. Once hot add orange juice and cook on very low flame until to sauce consistency. Adjust the amount of brown sugar according to orange’s tartness.
Assemble and Serve
- Place a crepe on a large heatproof plate or even a cookie sheet. Spread evenly with apple and sprinkle generously with the almond mixture.
- Continue to fill and layer until all the crepes are stacked. Sprinkle the left over almond mixture evenly.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cover the stacked crepes with aluminum foil and heat in a preheated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly crisp.
- Place cooked crepes on a serving plate and cut into four pieces. Place either 2 pieces or just one piece and sprinkle with orange sauce.