I have to say, this is one of the best cakes I have ever made. It does not require any butter or baking powder. So the egg whites that is beaten to a frothy consistency make this cake looks as if it has risen when baked. The cake is very dense but soft.
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup castor sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon each nutmeg and cardamom powder
- 1 ½ cups ground walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 inch spring form pan and set aside
- Separate eggs. Beat eggs yolks and sugar until light in color.
- Add flour and spice mixture and add ground walnuts and mix well.
- In a separate dry bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff and form peaks when the whisk is removed from the beaten egg white
- Fold beaten egg whites to the cake batter and mix carefully until well incorporated
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Cool on wire rack
- Once the cake is completely cooled to the room temperature, to decorate place a paper doily on top of the take and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Remove the paper doily carefully not to spill over any of the remaining sugar on the paper.