Bran is the outer shell of the grain that has high amount fiber. Wheat is not grown in Sri Lanka due to warm climate. But Sri Lanka’s primary food crop is rice. When rice is milled the husk/out shell is usually thrown away or used as cow feed or to use as manure for crops. But after coming to the US, I realized how healthy bran is – well a little bit introduction of the bran.
So let’s come back to this recipe. Now a days I have been avoid diary in my dishes. It was a challenge to make my own diary free butter milk and yogurt. After searching on google, I found how to make my own quick butter milk. To make non-diary butter milk, add one tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup measuring cup. Add regular almond milk to the cup. Mix and transfer to a bowl and let stand for about 10 minutes.
The muffins came out really good, soft and lightly moist which is the consistency I wanted. But you can always use regular butter milk and butter instead of oil which may give additional flavor to muffins.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (made from almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup wheat bran
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin tin with paper casing and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl lightly beat the egg. Add both sugars and mix well.
- Now add oil, vanilla extract, juice and zest of lemon and the butter milk and thoroughly combine.
- Sift together all-purpose, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Transfer the sifted flour into the egg mixture and slowly combine (the mixture will be quite liquidy so be careful not to spill).
- Now add the wheat bran and combine thoroughly. Add raisins.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes
- Yields: 8 muffins
Note: when making muffins, I always use paper casing to line the muffin tins. It makes it easy to remove the muffins without breaking and decreases the cleaning time.