With summer around the corner I love making fruity desserts since fresh fruits are readily available in stores. But the first thing comes to mind on a hot summer day is the cool refreshing freshly made lemonade. With that in mind, I thought to make this lemon bar which is tangy, sweet and full of lemon flavor. When making these bar, use fresh lemon juice and zest that gives freshness to the bar. But I have to say this bar is loaded with sugar which neutralizes the tartness that comes from fresh lemon juice. This can be a nice dessert after a barbecue for adults and kids.
- 2 oz/ ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz cold butter cut into pieces
- 4 eggs
- 12 oz / 1 ½ cups castor sugar
- Grated rind of 1 large lemon
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan
- Sift flour, icing sugar, and salt together and rub butter with your fingers into flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Press the mixture into the baking pan and bake for about 20 minute
- For the topping, beat eggs and castor sugar until blended. Add lemon rind, juice, and vanilla extract and mix well
- Lightly whip the whipping cream and fold it into the egg mixture.
- Pour over the still hot base and return to oven and bake for another 40 minutes or until top is set – when touched lightly with your fingers, it should not stick or come off with your fingers.
- Cool completely to room temperature and sprinkle with icing surgar.
Yields: 36 bars.
Adapted and modified from: Lemon Lime Bar – Better Homes & Gardens