This is a recipe that includes any available colorful veggies packed with nutrients. If you don’t have the same ingredients, you can use any available vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Asparagus etc according to your liking. I like using fresh vegetables instead of frozen or canned ones since fresh vegetables bake well and they retain the crispness. This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to cook but tastes as if it is made with extra effort. I used only 4 vegetables for this on top of Tofu – broccoli, multi colored pepper, edamame, and mushrooms, that’s it.
To Cook Bulgur
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup bulgur
- ¼ teaspoon canola oil
- Pinch of salt
To make the stir-fried vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4-5 mini tri-colored peppers
- 1 large Portabella mushroom cap
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup cooked edamame
- 4 oz tofu
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon roasted dark sesame seed oil (Chinese version)
- One scallion/spring onion
- Salt to taste
To Cook Bulgur:
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan
- Wash and add bulgur to the saucepan with canola oil and salt
- Bring to a rolling boil and cover and cook on low flame for about 10 minutes or until all water is evaporated
- Meanwhile cut tofu into about ½ inch cubes. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Spray oil to cookie sheet and spread tofu in one layer. Lightly spray oil and roast tofu for about 15 minutes
- While bulgur is cooking and tofu is roasting, add canola oil to a large skillet. Add chopped shallots to skillet and fry until transparent. Add chopped garlic and fry until onion is golden brown
- Cut peppers into thin rounds. Slice mushroom into about one inch pieces
- Add peppers, broccoli florets and mushroom to skillet and stir-fry on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked edamame and cooked bulgur.
- Add soy sauce and sesame oil and cook on low flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add roasted tofu and mix well
- Chop scallion into about one inch slices. Sprinkle with scallion on the top
- Season with salt
Once bulgur is cooked, let stand covered for about 15-20 minutes or until it reaches room temperature. If you try to mix hot bulgur into veggies, it will become mushy and pasty.