Tempeh is sold in multiple varieties. It can be just made from soybeans or a mixture of soybeans with other grains. It has a nutty flavor and taste. For this recipe I have combined with a fragrant lemon grass and ginger with coriander leaves that is formed into small patties and fried. These fritters can be served with ketchup or any spicy chili saure.
- 1 small stalk lemon grass finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- ½ inch piece ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh lemon grass
- 1 small scallion finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro/coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 small egg
- 9 oz Tempeh roughly chopped
- Oil for frying
- Put all the ingredients except the oil in a food process and blend/puree. It will look like a sticky dough.
- Transfer to a bowl and make into small balls and slightly flatten in the middle like a disc
- Heat oil in a wok or deep pan. Once hot add the tempeh disc and fry until golden. Turn over and fry until golden
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- To serve sprinkle with chopped scallion and Cilantro and with your favorite hot sauce
- If you don’t have lemon grass, lemon peel can be used. Finely chop it before adding to the mixture
- Yield: 20 Tempeh Fritters.