Wholesome grain and mixed vegetable soup are a very healthy and delicious soup. We all yearn for something hot during winter time like hot chocolate, hot coffee and warm soup. So, this is one of those soups that will keep you warm on a cold winter day. Adding spices will enhance the heat of this soup.
Since it’s very difficult to cook tiny amounts of grains, I cooked the smallest amount that can be done in my saucepan and then measured the grains to add to the soup. So, for this recipe, I am writing as “cooked grain” that means they are already cooked and are ready to be added to the soup.
I have used barley, bulgur and faro for this soup. I have not tried any other grain, but I think instead of faro, brown rice, teff can be used. Please cook barley, faro and bulgur according to package directions. Alternatively, you can cook each separately by adding enough water and drain excess water.
- ¼ cup cooked barley + faro
- ¼ cup cooked bulgur
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 3-4 sprigs cilantro
- 1 cup crushed tomato in juice ( from canned tomato)
- 3 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 oz shitake mushroom thickly sliced
- 1 small potato diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot diced into ¼ inch cubes
- Half of a small zucchini diced into ¼ inch cubes
- ½ cup cooked/canned black beans drained
- Chopped cilantro
- Roasted pumpkin seeds/pepita
- Add oil to a large saucepan and once hot add garlic and onion and sauté until brown on medium heat – about 5 minutes.
- Spread sliced mushrooms on a cookie sheet and broil for about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, cilantro sprigs and salt and cover and cook for 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes
- Puree the soup in a blender. Return soup to the saucepan. Add one teaspoon ground cumin powder
- Add mushrooms, carrot, potato, black beans and zucchini to the soup and cook on low flame for about 20 minutes.
- Now add cooked barley & faro mixture and cooked bulgur and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and turn off the heat
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and pumpkin seeds and serve warm
- Yields: 2 main dishes/bowl of soup